The acronym STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
At Mayfield, we recognise that STEM is our future. STEM covers the areas of our curriculum that our students need to be comfortable with so as to excel in their future.
STEM makes creators, thinkers, problem solvers, doers, innovators, and inventors. By exposing our students to as many aspect of the STEM subjects, in a cross-curricular, linked and themed, we hope to help our students start on both their individual educational- and career- pathways, succeeding as best they can in an ever changing technological world.
Mayfield School has the view that STEM is vital for the education of our students, and is recognised by the way we deliver STEM in our school:
- Highbury College STEM Partnership: going from strength to strength every year, this Partnership has involved the designing a new STEM Room (for students from not only Mayfield School, but also Highbury College and many of our Feeder Schools), and also the co-planning and delivery of our very successful annual Year 5 and Year 6 STEM Days. Our last Year 6 STEM Day, with over 400 Year 6 students from our feeder schools attending, had a ‘dinosaur’ theme, and was part-delivered by not only Highbury Staff and studiers, but also world expert palaeontology lecturers from the University of Portsmouth;
- Cross-curricular STEM Projects: covering a multitude of topics, these are delivered not only across numerous and varied subjects within a year group, but some are also delivered as multi-year group Projects as well, incorporating not only students from Years 7, 8 , or 9, but also our Nursery and Infants students too;
- Whole Day, Whole School STEM Days: covering a multitude of topics, these are delivered not only across numerous and varied subjects within a year group, but some are also delivered as multi-year group Projects as well, incorporating not only students from Years 7, 8 , or 9, but also our Nursery and Infants students too;
- Links with Local, National and International Agencies and Businesses: working with agencies and businesses such as:
- The RNLI
- Lockheed Martin
- Winchester Science Centre
- Marwell Zoo
- University of Southampton
- University of Portsmouth
- RN Historic Dockyard
- Wonderstruck Education
- and many others, our students receive amazing support that enriches and enhances their experiences and learning.