Pupil Premium funding makes a difference
The Pupil Premium was introduced four years ago to provide additional funding for schools to support children from low-income families and children whose parents are in the armed forces. Schools receive additional funding for students who fall into the following categories:
- Students who are currently known to be eligible for Free School Meals (FSM) or have had FSM in the past 6 years
- Students whose parents are currently serving in the armed forces or were recorded as being in the forces in the past 4 years
- Students who have been "looked after" at any stage in the last year
- Students who have been adopted from Local Authority care
Since Pupil Premium funding has been introduced, we have been able to reduce average class sizes in English and Maths and deploy a range of strategies to support potentially disadvantaged students at Mayfield..
Pupil Premium support has seen the gaps in achievement between potentially disadvantaged students and their peers narrow significantly. Further details of how Mayfield School allocated its Pupil Premium grant and the impact of this funding are shown in our 2016-17 Pupil Premium Report:
The school is constantly reviewing how it spends the Pupil Premium Grant to diminish the differences for disadvantaged children. Our strategy for the school's use of the pupil premium for 2017-18 is shown below:
We need your help to ensure that we are able to keep receiving this funding and continue to make a difference.
- Are you currently serving the Armed Forces? If so, please can you inform the school by emailing Mrs Anders, Assistant Headteacher, at the school on AndersE@mayfield.portsmouth.sch.uk
- Do you think that you may be entitled to Free School Meals? The current eligibility criteria for Free School Meals and the application form are available on our website. The form is quick to complete and you get a reply quickly.
Applying for Free School Meals does not mean that your child has to take them every day - they can still bring a packed lunch if they wish – but it does ensure that the school will continue to receive this additional funding. Further information about Free School Meals and completed applications can be returned to Mrs Hamilton in the School Office or by email to Hamilton@mayfield.portsmouth.sch.uk